Someone harassing teachers and kids at local school through email.

Post your questions about tracing the source IP address of an email here.
pfreshman

Someone harassing teachers and kids at local school through email.

Post by pfreshman » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:36 am

Hey guys,

First of, if i'm in the wrong place to ask please excuse me and redirect me if you can.

As you can get from this very controversial title, there is a person who is sending emails to the local school wrongfully accusing some second grade teachers and kids.
There is a great possibility that this person is one of the parents.

The thing is, through the email header I found out the mail service provider this person used and IP address. This IP gives me the location of the mail service provider central server/office(i guess) and it isn't even in my city and it doesn't show the ISP or any other information.

My question is - is it possible to track this person further and how it can be done. I'm not very tech-savvy myself but if there are people who are, please help.

Thank you.

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: Someone harassing teachers and kids at local school through email.

Post by Chrispcritters » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:33 am

Unfortunately most email headers no longer include the sender's IP address, only the email servers that were used.

In order to determine whose internet service was used to send the email you would need to subpoena records from both the email server provider (to get account access records) and then the ISP to find out which customer those IP addresses were assigned to at the time the email account was accessed.

If order to do this you would need to hire a lawyer. Law enforcement can also do this.

Since harassment is happening I suggest that you report it to your local law enforcement.
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.

pfreshman

Re: Someone harassing teachers and kids at local school through email.

Post by pfreshman » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:22 am

Chrispcritters,

Involving the police would be the first thing to do, but unfortunately in my country or at least in my city police wouldn't do much in cases such as this. It is not a big deal for them and it would take very long time for the school to even get their attention if it even happens, especially if there are no suspects and no "real" harm done.

But if there is no other legal way, i guess it is worth a try.

Thank you for your help!