How to bypass proxy authentication for some websites?

Post your questions about proxy servers here.
Letonyadodson

How to bypass proxy authentication for some websites?

Post by Letonyadodson »

Hello,

I have a problem with proxy authentication. I use a proxy server provided by my company to access the internet, but it requires me to enter my username and password every time I visit a website. This is very annoying and time-consuming, especially when I need to access some websites frequently.

Is there a way to bypass the proxy authentication for some websites that I trust and visit often? I have heard of some methods such as using PAC files, whitelisting domains, or modifying the registry, but I am not sure how to implement them or if they are safe and effective. Can anyone help me with this?

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions from the experts on this forum. Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Letonyadodson
Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: How to bypass proxy authentication for some websites?

Post by Chrispcritters »

Since your company provides the proxy service, which is an unusual setup these days, I suggest you work with your IT department to resolve the issue in a way that may not violate your company's policies.
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.
Letonyadodson

Post by Letonyadodson »

Chrispcritters wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:27 am Since your company provides the proxy service, which is an unusual setup these days, I suggest you work with your IT department to resolve the issue in a way that may not violate your company's policies.
Hi,

Thanks for your best response. I really appreciate your answer. This worked well for me.
Last edited by Chrispcritters on Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: OP's response contained spam links. OP's account has been closed.
robert1997b

Post by robert1997b »

A PAC file is a JavaScript function that determines whether web browser requests should go directly to the destination or be forwarded to a proxy server. You can create a custom PAC file that includes a whitelist of trusted websites. These sites will bypass the proxy. Check with your network administrator to see if they can add trusted websites to the proxy bypass list.

function FindProxyForURL(url, host) {
if (isPlainHostName(host)) return "DIRECT"; // Local resources
else return "PROXY proxy:8080"; // Proxy server
}
OneProxy

Post by OneProxy »

It sounds like you're experiencing inconvenience with constant proxy authentication prompts. One effective way to address this issue is by using a Proxy Auto-Configuration (PAC) file. PAC files allow you to specify which websites should bypass the proxy and which should use it, thereby reducing the need for frequent authentication. Place this PAC file on a web server or a local server that your device can access.

Code: Select all

function FindProxyForURL(url, host) {
    // List of domains to bypass the proxy
    var bypassList = [
        "trustedwebsite1.com",
        "trustedwebsite2.com",
        "trustedwebsite3.com"
    ];

// Check if the current host matches any of the bypass list
    for (var i = 0; i < bypassList.length; i++) {
        if (dnsDomainIs(host, bypassList[i])) {
            return "DIRECT";